RESEARCH CULTURE AMONG UNDERGRADUATE STUDENTS
1. Title of the practice:
Research culture among the Undergraduate Students.
2. Objective of the Practice:
- To infuse research interest in the undergraduate students.
- Inculcating a research attitude in the young minds of students at an undergraduate level is necessary to nurture scientists and create indigenous scientific innovations in our country.
3. The Context:
- The youth form the foundation upon which any society grows, science is the background for research and research provides the milieu for any kind of development that is possible.
- To fulfil student’s development, there is a requirement to inculcate the research approach in them.
- Research activities help the students to achieve beyond the academic curriculum and reach a unique destiny.
- Research enables them to use the internet, social medias, available printed information and communication technology towards the achievement of a creative environment.
- The challenge is in inspiring the young students in taking up the research as a future sustaining profession.
- Another challenge is also in motivating the students to utilise the facilities available in the college or in the sister colleges aimed at optimizing research potential and provision of scientific evidence based treatment.
4. The Practice:
- Students are encouraged to participate in research as early as their first year of entry in to the college.
- Students are given an introduction during the orientation program, into the research activities happening in the college and an overview about how their participation in research can shape their future.
- Any student can approach the teaching staff for participation in the already existing research activities of the college.
- They can also start up new research activities with the guidance and support of any teaching staff.
- The students upon entering their second and third year of study are encouraged to enrol in NPTEL certification courses such as Introduction to research, Health Research Fundamentals, Basics in biomedical research.
- The college provides with free internet facility to research on the topics and to do a review of literature.
- The research lab at the college, medical college and engineering college are open for the students to perform their research work.
- Students are provided with monetary help for the purchase of consumables for research activities.
- Publication cost of students’ research is borne by the college.
5. Evidence of Success:
- The facilities established at our institution are creating enthusiasm amongst our students to utilize the facilities for research.
- This is evident by the number of research proposals which are presented before the Research committee and Institutional ethics committee under the able guidance of the teaching staff members.
- The number of student publications is good, we are encouraging more student publications.
- Students have cleared The introduction to research and ….students have cleared the Health Research Fundamentals. Ms Aswini Chandra secured the gold medal and was declared as one of the 5 top students appearing for the exam. … students cleared in the elite group with distinction.
6. Problems encountered & Resources required:
- Channelizing students’ interest in to the field of research is the challenge.
- Research is being an option only among a few motivated students.
- Inspiring the students to utilize the available resources of knowledge and focus their abilities into research.
- Creating the quality time required for students in using the available technologies and communication devices for the purpose of research is a major setback for research.
- Research is not being seen as a fascinating choice of future career with scope and financial fulfilment among the students.
- The curriculum is rigid and a program is streamlined in place, which is physically tasking and mentally stressful to the students.
- Absence of a strong curriculum which adapts research into its core.
- A separate and dedicated centre with the required infrastructures for access of research resources by the students.